It is important for all Third Party Fundraisers to align with the mission and image of Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center. We ask all fundraisers to follow these guidelines, as these events help spread the word about the life-changing care and world-changing research happening at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center.
- Fundraisers should complement the mission and image of Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center. That’s why we require all coordinators to submit their idea through our online registration process.
- Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center reserves the right to request additional information after a fundraiser is registered. We may refuse an event which competes or conflicts with an established hospital run event or doesn’t align with our mission.
- After you register your fundraiser, we’ll provide you with the cancer center name and logo for your marketing materials. We must review everything with our name and logo on it.
- No community fundraisers with 100 or more participants may be scheduled on the same day as an event hosted by Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center without prior approval from the Director of Development.
- The coordinator is responsible for covering all expenses for the event and will not be reimbursed by the cancer center. If you are paying for expenses, please deduct these from the funds raised prior to sending the donation.
- No bank accounts in the name of “Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center” can be set up to hold funds from a community fundraiser.
- The coordinator is responsible for obtaining any required permits as well as a certificate of insurance for the event.
- The cancer center will issue IRS compliant charitable tax receipts to the full extent of the law if the gift is made payable to Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center. Please do not promise any receipt to your donors as issuing an inappropriate receipt can put the caner center’s charitable tax status in jeopardy.
- The estimated cost per dollar raised should be 30% or less. Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center has maintained an average five-year fundraising cost under 23% and strongly encourages coordinators to abide by the same standard.
- When advertising any items in a silent or live auction you must display the fair market value. No items can be priceless because the donor will not be eligible for a tax receipt. The cancer center will only issue IRS compliant tax receipts if the donor pays beyond the fair market value and if payment is made payable directly to Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center.
- All proceeds need to be made payable to Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center and mailed to us within 30 days of completing your fundraiser. Please mail funds in donation envelope provided to all registered fundraisers.
Promoting your fundraiser
- The cancer center may only be identified as the beneficiary. For example, your fundraiser can’t be called Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Ride for the Kids. Instead, it should be called Ride for the Kids benefiting Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center.
- If the cancer center is one of several beneficiaries, the percentage or amount of proceeds that benefit the hospital must be clearly stated on all materials.
- To avoid duplicate solicitations, we ask that you notify our Development team before asking a business or company for a donation, cash or in-kind.
- Requirements for Third Party Events events to be posted on Facebook by Mary Bird Perkins Our Lady of the Lake Staff: The revenue goal must be at least $50,000. If the fundraiser is new, the coordinator must show evidence indicating that the event will achieve the revenue goal. Fundraising events that do not meet the minimum may be considered for postings at the discretion of Trust staff.